Sunday 19 July 2009

Cheese Popovers - or - what to do with those little Tupperware moulds

Looking for savoury snacks during the holidays, I turned (of course) to my McAlpin's Recipe Book from about the 1950s. I had just found a really cute Tupperware Petite Baking Form (a silicon baking tray with teeny tiny holes, not nearly as big as mini muffins). I thought it was really only useful for chocolates (and that's not bad) but it would be a waste not to put them in the oven.

So I tried these : little cheesy nibbles. I swapped onion for celery, and halved the recipe, and haven't metricated it yet, but it's pretty easy.

The Tupperware form worked, and the rest I baked in an old fashioned gem scone iron, also fantastic.











Cheese Popovers

Ingredients
8 oz SR flour
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp celery salt
pinch cayenne pepper
2 oz butter
½ cup finely chopped celery
2 Tbsp grated cheese
1 egg
¾ cup milk

Method
Rub butter into dry ingredients, add celery and cheese. Add beaten egg and milk and mix to a soft dough. Place in hot, well-greased gem irons and bake in a moderately hot oven 10 to 12 minutes.

1 comment:

Myléne Hillam said...

Love those moulds - what you put in them is not too bad either :)
mmmm.... yumm!